The nearly century old Firestation One building was purchased by Jeremy Gruber, a retired Montgomery County Firefighter/Paramedic who began his career at this very station. 25 years later Jeremy has taken great care in renovating the historic property into Fire Station 1 Restaurant and Brewing Company, a full service restaurant where good food and good people come together. Jeremy's family has a long love of food dating back to his grandparents in the 30"s when the owned Gruber's restaurant in New York City.
May 5, 1915 a fire destroyed a building housing the Silver Spring Post Office with all its contents. An alarmed community formed the Silver Spring Volunteer Fire Company.
The initial meeting for the organization of a village fire brigade was held at B. R. Gannon's hall at which William Jouvenal was elected the first president of the organization and Joseph Glover as its first secretary. F. N. Oden was unanimously chosen its first chief. A constitution and by-laws were adopted and J. Herbert Cissel tendered the use of a small shed in the rear of Mattingly and Dudley's Pharmacy as a meeting place for the members and a shelter for their meager fire fighting apparatus.
In 1915, public water supply was non-existent. The first firefighting tools of the new company consisted of a cart constructed from the two wheels of a discarded grain drill. The cart was loaded with red buckets, axes, hose and lanterns. Fifteen hand chemical extinguishers were scattered at advantageous locations throughout the community. Two ladders usually remained at the shed due to great difficulty in carrying them.
The period from 1916 to 1918 was characterized by a slow but steady growth. The tremendous organization of fire fighting units of those times had volunteer firemen protecting cities such as Cumberland, Hagerstown, Frederick, and Salisbury.
Silver Spring Volunteer Fire Department's membership increased to almost 100 and early in 1918 was incorporated under the laws of Maryland and later that same year became a member of the Maryland State Fireman's Association.
A hand-drawn two wheeled 45 gallon chemical engine was purchased. The chemical tank is built to withstand the enormous pressure produced by bicarbonate of soda and water mixed later with sulphuric acid to suppress fires. The engine also carried tools and a large bell to summon volunteers in the event of a fire.
In autumn of 1918, the first motor driven fire truck in Montgomery County was acquired and placed in service in Silver Spring. This fire engine carried 70 gallons chemical supply capable of being recharged simultaneously with its discharge. The fire truck remained in service for ten years.
Also, in 1918, the Silver Spring Volunteer Fire Department Incorporated its name, and in April of 1919 purchased the Silver Spring National Guard Armory. Renovations were made that summer to the 6000 square foot building allowing it to house apparatus, hold meetings and host community affairs.
Now, almost a century later, Fire Station 1 has been replaced with a new larger facility located across the street from the new restaurant and adjacent to the historic B&O train station.
The old Station One building was purchased by Jeremy Gruber, a retired Montgomery County Firefighter/Paramedic, fulfilling his dream of opening Fire Station 1 Restaurant and Brewing Company, a full service restaurant where good food and good people come together.
Fire Station 1 Restaurant & Brewing Co. wishes to pay tribute to those brave firefighters, both volunteer and career, who either had once or currently continue to serve the people of the Silver Spring community.
Maryland Craft Beers Proudly Served Here
Enjoy our wide selection of craft beers, brewed locally in Maryland
Book your next event or community fundraiser.
The Fire Station 1 offers 15% back to qualified groups. Please contact us at 301-585-1370 or email@example.com to arrange your next event.